Prayer and exercise

Labels: , , ,

This last weekend, I ran the Wasatch Back Relay with a group of people from my church. For those of you who do not know, the Wasatch Back Relay is a 24 hour running event that involves 189 miles and 12 people. Each runner takes 3 legs ranging from 3 to 9 miles and varying levels of incline or decline. 

I was added to the team about a month before hand and it was a busy month at that, so I didn't get to train much. I also made the decision to run without music; so it was just me, the road and God. 

It was an amazing experience. It was my first true event of any length or difficulty so it was fun from that aspect alone. But the closeness I felt with God as I ran was even better. I am not going to sit here and say that I saw angles, or a figure of Jesus talking to me, but it was like talking to my best friend, father, mentor,  and boss all in one. It made me realize that there is no doubt we need to keep a constant open conversation with God. 

1 Thessalonians 5: 16-18 tells us to be joyful always and pray continually. If we give God the things in life that stress us, He will give us the energy to take care of our bodies and help each other.
We should feel comfortable going to God with anything and talking to Him in a normal conversation, no need to be formal or worried about "doing it" wrong. (1 John 5: 14-15)

So next time you don't think you have the energy to start a workout or finish a workout, say a little prayer and ask God to help you with the things that are stressing you out. As a matter of fact, do it right now. And again in 15 minutes. And again in an hour. . . .

Comments (0)

Post a Comment